By guest blogger Andrea Lozoya
We all need a bit of me-time to relax, unwind, and enjoy a little pampering. With a few simple tweaks and tips, you can enjoy your very own at-home spa for the perfect way to practice a little bit of self-care. We’ve put together an awesome list of ideas to help you relax and create a DIY spa that’ll have you feeling calm and serene.
Set the mood in order to create your very own spa at home. From finding the perfect spa space to supplies and lighting, here are some tips to get you started on your journey to total relaxation.
Set up Your Space
Start by choosing where you want your at-home spa to be. It can be your master bathroom or just a spare room where you can spend time in peace and quiet. A room with a view is another great option to help you get some sunshine and enjoy a little bit of nature as you unwind.
- Once you’ve chosen your space, use some relaxing products like essential oils, a bottle of bubble bath, fresh flower fragrance pillows, or a vase filled with a bouquet of fresh flowers.
- Choose scents that have a calming effect such as lavender, eucalyptus, and chamomile. Put them in an essential oil diffuser to enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy at home.
- A cup of hot tea is a great way to help you relax. Gather some of your favorite herbs to make tea, a cute kettle, and your favorite mug so you can sip your cares away.
- Look for a quality skincare mask that fits your needs. A facial mask can soothe your skin and help you feel calm and relaxed.
- Organize all of your favorite spa goodies, like a specialized bath kit in a cute basket and keep them in your special space. This will make it easy for you to find everything you need so you can start relaxing right away.
Adjust the Lighting
- Bright light might not make you feel as relaxed as you could be, so dim the lights in the room for a soothing ambiance.
- Bring in some candles and turn off the overhead lights so you can bask in the candle’s illuminating glow.
- Light a scented candle before you hop in the shower or tub. This simple act will make daily bathing more relaxing, even when you don’t have time for a full spa day.
Create a Playlist
- Music has an incredible ability to calm the nerves, so make a custom playlist featuring some of your favorite songs to help you chill.
- You can find spa music that’s specially made to help you feel calm and tranquil.
- Add a Bluetooth speaker to your spa room so you can change tracks from your smartphone and won’t need to get up and walk over to the stereo.
Dress for the Occasion
- Find a fabulous robe that you can wear in your at-home spa. Silk robes are super-soft, lightweight, and perfect for recreating an authentic spa experience.
- Wear a comfy pair of slippers you can put on and take off whenever you want to keep your feet cushioned and your mood elevated.
- Invest in a quality pair of pajamas. A two-piece set with a top and bottoms is a great choice.
Decorations for Your Home Spa
No spa is truly complete without beautiful décor. Here are a few suggestions to help you create a serene, relaxing spa space at home:
- Plants: Houseplants create a nice, calming effect and a beautiful, organic touch. Choose plants that are easy to care for but that will add color and beauty to your spa area.
- Lamps: The right lighting makes your spa feel much more relaxing, so choose a few decorative lamps and use a soft, warm lightbulb. Himalayan salt lamps are a great choice for a spa, and a lighted oil diffuser gives off a soothing glow and adds an extra boost of relaxing fragrance.
- Artwork: Elevate your spa at home by hanging some beautiful artwork. A lovely landscape painting or a softly colored modern work of art can add to the ambiance of your spa without being overwhelming.
- Candles: You can use candles for lighting, scent, and décor all in one. Choose a candle in a scent you love that will soothe you. Try a battery-operated candle if you’re just looking for a nice flickering glow without the scent.
- Flowers: Add a vase with some freshly cut flowers whenever you have a spa day at home. Flowers bring calm, cheer, a light fragrance, and natural colors to your self-care space.
DIY Spa Treatments
If you really want to feel relaxed, make sure you’re giving your hair, nails, body, and face the treatment they deserve. A body scrub is also a great way to relax. This treatment sloughs off dry skin and leaves you feeling smooth, soft, and moisturized. Just remember to apply a moisturizing lotion after using a body scrub for the best results. Avoid applying body scrubs to damaged skin, or skin that’s extremely dry. This is the perfect time to focus on your breath and relax.
Spa Products to Add that Special Touch
After you’ve chosen a space, picked out some music, and planned your day, there are a few other things you can add to ensure that your spa is as tranquil as can be:
- Neck Pillow: Use a neck pillow to help you relax. You can choose a bath neck pillow that supports your head in the bath, or try a soft, supportive scented pillow to cradle your neck while you lay back and relax.
- Gel Eye Mask: Boost your eye serum's effectiveness with a cooling eye mask. These masks can reduce puffiness and help you feel calm.
- Jade Roller: A jade roller is a great product that can relax your facial muscles. Use this handy roller with your favorite face oil. These handy beauty tools are inexpensive, and they can help reduce facial puffiness while promoting feelings of calm.
- Bath Salts: To give your bath some extra benefits, look for bath salts or bath powders in soothing scents. This product is great for relaxing while it softens the skin and emits a gentle, calming fragrance.
- Headbands: A headband will keep your hair out of your face when applying masks or bathing. Choose a headband made of soft material like a terry cloth or microfiber.
- Spa Slippers: Find a pair of soft, cushy slippers you can wear around the house. This footwear is a perfect way to protect your feet while keeping them comfy and warm.
- Massagers: A foot massager is a perfect addition to your spa. This gadget will relax your feet and calves as you sit back and relax. You can also find massages for your neck and back to remove pesky knots and relax tense muscles.
- Essential Oil Diffuser: Once you’ve chosen some essential oils, use an oil diffuser to emit soothing scents throughout your space. Try to diffuse just one oil at a time, or you can combine a few different oils within the same fragrance group.
- Candles / Incense Sticks: Scented candles and incense sticks are both great ways to create a soothing ambiance and enjoy a gentle fragrance in your home spa. Find an incense holder that will catch the soot from your incense and protect your counters. Some scent suggestions include patchouli, ylang-ylang, rosemary, and jasmine.
Stock up your at-home spa with some essential skincare tools:
- Gua Sha stone: Usually made of jade or quartz, improves blood circulation and keeps your skin looking fresh and young.
- Facial massage roller: Massage your face to stimulate circulation and help you relax. Some rollers can be frozen or refrigerated for extra cooling, and relaxing effects.
Make it Romantic
You can enjoy a romantic getaway right in your own home with a couple’s spa day. Take a day off from work and invite your other half to join you. To create a romantic spa day, try some of these suggestions:
- If the tub is big enough, enjoy taking a nice long bubble bath together and play some romantic music by candlelight.
- Choose romantic scents for your spa day including rose or vanilla to help set the mood.
- Buy your partner a matching bathrobe so you can both wear comfy clothing after you soak in the tub or take a relaxing shower.
- Enjoy a few snacks together, like whipped cream and fresh fruit.
- If you’re experienced at massage, offer to give your partner a nice, long massage with a quality massage oil.
- You can also get a professional massage therapist to go to your place, they provide everything needed for a totally trouble-free experience.
- Disconnect from the outside world and turn off your smartphone and the TV. This is the time to reconnect and enjoy some peace and quiet as you both relax and decompress.
Now that you have everything you need for a relaxing DIY spa day in the comfort of your own home, it’s time to get started. We hope you’re able to fully relax, chill, and enjoy your at-home spa day using these tips and ideas!